May 07, 2013

mini makeover > mirror

This midsize mirror caught my eye on a Saturday treasure hunt a few months ago...


My favourite part about the mirror was actually the price tag ($4.50!) but I also liked the size, shape, and frame details. At the time, I had just begun to comprehend the power of spray paint and was on the hunt for new spray paint projects. So to find this potential-filled mirror for less than five bucks was a thrill.


This was a VERY simple project... with an extra step or two at the end due to my typically klutzy-excited behaviour. Before spray painting the mirror, I wiped it clean (as the texture of the frame is full of nooks and crannies for baby dust bunnies to hide out in). I then wasted far too much time debating what colour to use (which didn't even matter, because I could always just repaint the mirror...).


After this life altering colour decision was made... I prepped the edges with some old newspapers and painters tape.


The final colour decision:



Normally, this would be the end of the project. But thanks to my clumsiness (or rather, sheer excitement for the final results?!) some paint managed to seep through the gaps in the newspapers. Oops. 



A little bit of this paint remover on an old rag took care of my messy mistakes.
(Bonus: The first blog appearance of my pup Freddie. You're welcome.)















Total cost:
Mirror = $4.50
Spray paint = already had at home...
Paint & Varnish Remover = $10.50
Total = $15.00

2 comments:

  1. I just learned this last week, but if you get paint on something you don't want (like glass or a mirror) just use a little $1 scraper from the paint section; it scrapes right off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know :) Will be a good investment for me as I'm accident-prone.

      Thanks!

      Delete